Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Joplin Thoughts/Pictures

 I have often wondered about the people behind the things I have seen or picked up to throw away.  Who owned these guitars?  Were they up and comings?  Was it a child just learning?  Was it a family heirloom?  What affect does the loss of them have upon their owners?  And yes, once again the tears find their favorite route down my cheeks.
This trashcan looks as if it was simply picked up and crumbled as one would a piece of paper.  Does the trash man who emptied this trash container have his normal job anymore?  Is he alive?  How did this tornado affect his family?  How do I even comprehend a mass of metal that many would have a hard time moving come to look like this?
 Then there are the bright spots in the days.  Here is a trio of girl scouts whose troop raised money for the kids who lost all of their stuffed animals.  That troop brought in three huge sacks of Build a Bears (which they had stuffed themselves) and one tub of beenie babies.  The girls had become so involved and attached to these bears they shed a tear or two when they left them.  Precious.

 These two lovely ladies gave me joy for a couple of days.  Meet Thera and Maureen - a fantastic mother/daughter team.  They worked like a charm together and brought us laughter and smiles.  What a bright spot in a difficult job. 

And the cards poured in!  The church received many cards from children all other the United States wishing the survivors of the Joplin tornado well.  Some were hand made.  Some were in crayon.  Some in markers, but all made with love and concern and prayers.  Some were funny.  Some heartwarming.  Some tender, but all perfect for the families who made their way through the PSA station.  The families graciously accepted these cards and they always brought smiles to their faces. 

The man sitting on the stool is Randy Gariss the minister of College Heights Christian Church.  He is getting ready to do an interview with some TV station.  He also spoke at the meeting with the president at MSSU.  I remember sitting next to him at a meeting and him saying he wished he'd never given the Governor nor the president of the United States his phone number....he was too busy taking care of people to stop and talk.  The humbleness and care of this man for his congregation and the people of Joplin is phenomenal.  He's showing God in his actions.
Ah, Kelly and Kim - sisters.  Kelly is from the Joplin area while her sister Kim is not...she came just to work with her sister...how sweet!  These two ladies were full of smiles, laughter, care and concern for the people were served.  What beautiful women from the inside out!  It was wonderful to have happiness in the midst of tears and prayers - a good balance beam act I'd say.  Kelly also helped keep my spirits up.  She was an encourager like Barnabas was and I  found myself needing that from time to time.  Thanks ladies!
Despite all of the work in the PSA station, there is a tremendous amount of work to be done out in the field.  This is not going to be a short term deal.  The city of Joplin will be affected for years to come. 
 
The latest JOPLIN TORNADO FACTS: Deaths 155; Damage Estimate $3 Billion; Homes Destroyed 6,954; Homes Damaged 875; Jobs Affected (approximate) 5,000; Cars Destroyed (approximate) 18,000; Businesses Affected (approximate) 500; Injuries 1,150; Cubic Yards of Debris Removed by the Army Corps of Engineers (as of June 19) 597,500. (From a Joplin Globe article published today, June 22, the one month anniversary of the tornado).
 Let me let  you in on a little secret....here's my favorite scripture...I'll only quote a few verses though.
Psalm 27 1-5
"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the defense of my life; whom shall I dread?  When evildoers came upon me to devour my flesh, my adversaries and my enemies, they stumbled and fell.  Though a host encamp against me, my heart will not fear; though war arise against me, in spite of this I shall be confident.  One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek:  That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to meditate in His temple.  For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle; in the secret place of His tent He will hide me; He will life me up on a rock."

ENOUGH SAID!

No comments:

Post a Comment